Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Visitors from Belgrade



After New Years, my grandmother and I had an expected and a few unexpected visitors from Belgrade. My aunt had spent the holiday season with my cousin and uncle in Belgrade. She had planned to travel down to the coast via bus and join us in Tisno. However, when she mentioned these plans to her friend Bata, he wouldn't hear of it and decided to drive her down himself. In tow were my cousin Dusan (who's plan to come to Tisno was kept top secret from my grandmother, as we wanted to surprise her) and my aunt's friend Nenad.

I had met Bata and Nenad on a previous visit to Belgrade. They lived in the same apartment block as my aunt when she lived in Belgrade many years ago. Bata lived in the neighbouring apartment, and Nenad lived with his family a few levels down (and both still live in that building). They are two of the funniest people I've met. Bata is nearing sixty and Nenad is in his early thirties, but they get along so well, are full of jokes and laughter and are two of my aunt's closest friends (when my aunt was in Belgium earlier this year, Nenad and Bata flew from Belgrade to Brussels just for the day to see her - insane, yet so thoughtful).

Although it was a cold and overcast day, our visitors for Belgrade were absolutely amazed by Tisno. Spending the day with them allowed me to see the town through fresh eyes - everything was suddenly interesting, things I had previously disregarded, now stood out. It was as though I were a tourist in Tisno, taking in as much as possible in the few short days of my visit. Cameras were clicking, everything was 'wow' 'look at this' 'how nice is that view!'. We spent the entire day exploring every corner of Tisno, every nook and cranny, every bay, every outlook, every church (there are 4 of them), every small cobbled lane...

Our visitors from Belgrade had an extremely enjoyable time, and vowed to visited Tisno again, but preferably in the summer time.


View from Karavaj


Jugo (the south wind which results in rough seas and rain)





Uska Ulica 





The path to the bay of Sveti Andreja (Saint Andrew)

 



The church of Saint Andrew (Crkva Svete Andreje)
The Bell Tower (Kampaneja)


The Church of the Madonna of Caravaggio (Crkva Gospe od Karavaja)

No comments:

Post a Comment