Wednesday, July 6, 2011

An introduction to my year in Croatia

The beauty and uniqueness of the Adriatic Coast of Croatia, known as Dalmatia, has attracted people for centuries, from the Greek Illyrians, to the Ottoman Turks, the Venetians, the communist Yugoslavs and of course the modern day tourist. In times past, it was considered to be a advantageous strategic region, due to its access to the Mediterranean and abundance of natural resources. Today however, it is better known for its hundreds of picturesque islands, beautiful old Venetian towns, breathtaking natural and cultural heritage sites, and not to mention the notorious summer parties, which attract tourists from around the globe.

I was so fortunate enough as to spend 10 months in a small town know as Tisno, on the island of Murter, about 20km north of Sibenik. During these 10 months I gained an insight into the language, history, culture, traditions and every day life of the people with whom I have a common heritage. I hope this blog serves to faithfully relate the valuable knowledge and unforgettable experiences (whether positive or negative) which I gained spending 10 months in my little house on the shores of the Adriatic...



Photographs taken from the hill of Karavaj, on the island of Murter

No comments:

Post a Comment